Mark August 9-13, 2015 in your calendar for the 26th Congress of SPPS in Stockholm, Sweden that we have dubbed Plant Biology Scandinavia 2015! The Congress will offer an interesting program in a beautiful setting. The scientific program covers the major areas of experimental plant biology. The program also contains a session on science outreach and plant biology education and there will be attractive excursions and visits. The Congress venue is the magnificent Aula Magna at Stockholm University. Read more at the Congress website.
The Congress starts on Sunday August 9th and very briefly the social programme will look like this:
- Sunday: Opportunity to join excursions; either a boat trip on lake Mälaren to the Viking city Birka – one of UNESCO’s World Heritage Sites – or a trip to Uppsala including a visit to Linnaeus gardens.
- Sunday evening: Two talks by invited speakers and a get-together reception.
- Monday evening: We expect to be invited for a reception in Stockholm City Hall, the building where the Nobel Prize banquet is organized every year.
- Tuesday evening Guided tours in the beautiful Bergius Botanic Garden nearby the University Campus and a get-together in the charming Gamla Orangeriet.
- Wednesday evening: The Congress dinner will be at the spectacular Vasa Museum Ship Hall, also including guided tours of the grand 1700th century ship Vasa.
We hope that you will enjoy this interesting and relaxing social programme so you will be able to benefit fully from the exciting scientific programme during the day.
The following session organizers and keynote speakers have been confirmed as of June 2014 (if two people are mentioned, the former will be both session organizer and keynote speaker while the latter will be keynote speaker):
- From the lab. bench to the field: Professor Wilhelm Gruissem, ETH Zürich, Switzerland and President of the Global Plant Council
- Abiotic stress: Professor Jaakko Kangasjärvi, University of Helsinki, Finland
- Biotic interactions: Professor Jens Stougaard, Aarhus University, Denmark & Professor Paul Schulze-Lefert, Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research, Cologne, Germany
- Development: Professor Ove Nilsson, SLU, Umeå, Sweden & Professor George Coupland, Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research, Cologne, Germany
- Epigenetics and gene regulation: Professor Claudia Köhler, SLU Uppsala, Sweden & Professor Thierry Lagrange, Université de Perpignan, France
- High throughput biology (genomics, bioinformatics, modelling, phenomics): Professor Stefan Jansson, Umeå University, Sweden & Professor Hong Gil Nam, Daegu Gyeongbuk Institute of Science and Technology , Republic of Korea
- Photobiology: Professor Dario Leister, University of Copenhagen, Denmark and Ludwig-Maximilian-University Munich, LMU, Germany
- Education and Outreach: Karin Metzlaff, Executive Director of EPSO (European Plant Science Organisation)
Contributed on behalf of the Organizing committee by Professor Lisbeth Jonsson, Stockholm University